Friday, January 15, 2016

Applying to PA School: The Interview



The selfie featured at the bottom of this post was taken 2 hours after my second interview on the plane ride home. Fun story, the day of my interview I woke up with really really red irritated eyes. I'm talking true blood red. I was already so stressed out and feeling rushed that I took all of that anger out on my poor husband. I apologized after my interview, he was very understanding.

At first, the red eyes really got to me. As I sat there with the other interviewees, I felt like everyone could just see my big red eyes. One of my fellow interviewees suggested that I talk about it in my interview... this is terrible advice. At my first interview, I took some last minute advice and I just didn't feel like myself. Which is where my first piece of advice comes from.

1. Do not get intimidated by tho other interviewees - I mean, yes, make polite conversation but keep it light. Don't start comparing your number of interviews and acceptance offers to theirs. There will always be that one person that seems to take over the conversation and brag about their stats. Good for them! But you have to keep your head in the game and remember that they chose you for a reason!

2. Be honest, be yourself, and smile! - Three simple truths that can apply to your everyday life. Don't get caught up in the hype of trying to be someone your not. There's nothing wrong with being a little excited and showing it through a nice smile. And talk yourself up. After all, that is what you are there for. To tell them about your accomplishments and to remind them of why they chose you to interview!

3. Be early, don't be on time - My advice would be to go to the school/location of your interview the day before and find a good parking spot, hunt down the room where you will interview, and most importantly find the nearest restroom.

4. The portfolio, yes or no? - On my first interview, I came read with a crisp white button-up shirt, and a snappy gray suit. In my hand, I carried a bright blue folder. Inside of it, 3 copies of my CV and a few lined pieces of paper. My bright blue flimsy $1.29 Walmart folder stood out among the leather bound portfolio binders and ball point pens. As I sat there with my little folder, I couldn't help but feel intimidated. I had thought of everything, and I mean everything. Or so I thought. Some interview emails may tell you to "just bring yourself," but you don't want to be the one person that is unprepared when they ask you for a copy of your CV. On an impromptu whim, they might give you a tour or an information session about the program and those college-ruled papers and that ball point pen would sure come in handy. Here is a cute one that bought for my interviews from Target.

5. Thank you notes - Write them. Another good reason to have a portfolio with extra lined pages, to write down and remember your interviewees names. Be sure to include specifics from your interview. What you talked about and discussed. If they suggested a restaurant to check out, thank them for the suggestion. As I always say, "It's all in the details". One of my favorite set of thank you cards come from Rifle Paper Co.

Despite what I thought was the worst thing that could have ever happened that day after the interview was over and I was headed home, the world did not end. My family was in good health. My husband had traveled with me and we had the opportunity to visit a new place.

The very next day I received a phone call notifying me of my acceptance, 12/3/15 @ 2:04PM :)

1 comment:

  1. Great advice Erica. Especially "don't get caught up in the hype of trying to be someone your not". This is surprisingly hard and probably the most important thing you can do when you enter that room for your interview. That, and your other great advice ... Smile :-)

    ReplyDelete